Intermodal Spot Rates - Sept 21 2018
The intermodal spot rate index decreased 0.4% over prior week. Of the 115 lanes tracked in the weighted average index, 35.1% increased, 8.8% decreased and 56.1% went unchanged.
For the week of September 17, 2018, domestic intermodal spot rates were:
- Down 0.4% from prior week
- Up 14.9% from 90 days ago.
- Up 34.8% from prior year.
Spot rate increases came primarily from outbound Seattle, Atlanta and to some extent Chicago, while a small portion of outbound LA lanes decreased.
Year-over-year comparables will continue to be more difficult to overcome through the remainder of the year. This trend started four weeks ago with the year-over-year percentage dropping from 49.0% to 34.8%.
Diesel Fuel Comments:
The EIA reported average diesel fuel price of $3.268 per gallon this week, which is a $0.010 increase.
The diesel price per gallon is up $0.477 or 17.1% higher from the same period last year.
Oil prices are up roughly $2.00 from the prior week, with WTI and Brent closing today at $70.79 and $78.73, respectively.
The EIA's most current diesel price projection for diesel is $3.15 a gallon for calendar year 2018.
The full spreadsheet of the historical weekly price moves of diesel full can be found at https://www.eia.gov/petroleum/gasdiesel/.
Graphs listed below include:
- 53' Domestic Intermodal Price Index & Diesel Fuel Prices
- Variance to January 1, 2013 Baseline
- Rolling 52 Year-over-Year Comparison - 53' Domestic Intermodal and Diesel Fuel Prices
- Rolling 52 Year-over-Year % Change - 53' Domestic Intermodal and Diesel Fuel Prices
- 53' Domestic Intermodal and Diesel Prices Quarter-Over-Quarter Comparison
Follow InTek Freight & Logistics:
Proud Members of:
Other Recognition and Certifications: